Sunday, February 10, 2019

Week 5. Practicing with Boolean and Subject Terms



Ana Rivera
February 10, 2019
Week Five Assignment


Practicing with Boolean and Subject Terms

1. Looking up subject terms:

The two search terms I used to search in the thesaurus of Subject Term were “Self-serving bias” and I found the subject term “SELF-serving bias (Psychology)”

When clicking on the founded term:

Scope Note: Here are entered works on the attribution of positive results to one’s own abilities and negative results to external forces.
Broader Terms: ATTRIBUTION (Social Psychology), COGNITIVE bias, SELF-esteem.

2. Reflection:

· In this lesson what I found most useful was getting to know the Truncation and proximity operators. Even though I didn’t really learn them and wasn’t able to dominate them, I got to know about this searching mechanism for searching multiple terms that begin with a desired prefix. I feel like these are excellent ways to search terms in broader context.
· I intend to use these skills for future search by applying them in different ways that is they can provide me with better results and eventually saving some time finding articles. Now, I know more tool to do searching.
· As today I don’t have questions about Boolean searching or subject terms, but I do find them as a great learning tool that I didn’t know about before.

No comments:

Post a Comment