Sunday, February 3, 2019

Week Four Assignment: Background Searching in the Library Resources


Ana Rivera
February 3, 2019
Week Four Assignment

            1. Electronic Reference:
·       Ebrary: ProQuest Ebook Central: Self-Serving Bias.
Book: Narcissism and the Self: Dynamics of Self-Preservation in Social Interaction, Personality Structure, Subjective Experience, and Psychopathology, R. Behrendt.
·       A new idea about the topic is the individual’s need to maintain a narcissistic personality.
·       Some subtopics in the search are psychopathology, self-preservation, personality structure, subjective experience, ethics, etc.
·       Questions I came up while I was reading were: how many times have I experienced self-serving bias traits? In what situations? And I keep trying to remember of situations that probably I have perceived such traits.
·       Distinctive: dependence
Broad: psychopathology
Narrow: superego
Related: interpersonal and social dynamics
·       The article from last week (Wikipedia article) and this one is completely different thus because the electronic reference I am using this time is an eBook which is very extent on the topic I am searching. They have similarities on aspects of the topic but provides more information in an elevated context.

2. Book from Search It, the Library’s Catalog:
·       Name of the book: The Narcissistic teammate: effects of narcissistic subtypes on self-serving attributional biases. Author: Ashley Brown
·       Subject Headings: narcissism, Washington State, psychological aspects, college students, Eastern Washington University, thesis, department of Psychology.  
·       About the description: it explains what self-serving bias is and how it relates to the narcissist personality.
·       To get a copy of the book I must request the resource from another library since is not available through WSU Libraries. 

3. eBook from Search It:
·       Irrational and Overrated: Is our Unrealistic Self-Perception connected to Educational Achievements? Author: Dominik Piehlmaier 
·       Subject Headings: Self-confidence, Germany, Self-esteem in adolescence.
·       This eBook seems to be a study through a questionnaire on the relationship between education and confidence in situations of uncertainty.

4. Reflection:
                  This week assignment was a little confusing at the beginning but once reading the steps                        twice and following them paying really attention I was able to do complete it. I have to                        say that where I got more confused was on the first step and to be honest, I am not sure if                    did the right thing that is on the description thus I because I thought I was doing the                              wrong  thing but I double checked the steps and I believed I did the right thing so I                              continued. I really liked this new way to search for resources that I did not have idea that                      this was possible. Without a doubt, this is a great tool on how to look for future research,                      I find this as a easier way to find articles and different resources that help with research.

1 comment:

  1. Good work persevering through your confusion and completing the assignment. I would just point out that "dependence" is not a distinctive search term for your topic. It is a common word that can appear in many contexts unrelated to narcissism. In your background research you are looking for technical terms and unique words that you probably never heard before. These are the distinctive terms that can help focus your search.

    ReplyDelete